To what international airport do we fly in?
Panama has one international airport called Tocumen International Airport (PTY) which is located in Panama City. It is about 20 minutes from downtown.
Which transfers are included?
Transfers to and from the ship are included. Transfers from the airport to hotels are not included. However, we can arrange this service for you.
How many bags are allowed aboard the Discovery?
Due to the size of the vessel, we suggest a maximum of 2 medium size bags per person.
What is suggested on what to pack and wear?
- Lightweight, rubber sandals.
- Comfortable, “closed” walking shoes with rubber soles and good support (for on board the ship and shore excursions). You can also wear tennis shoes or sneakers. You may want to bring two pairs so that you will have a dry pair if one should get wet or muddy. Some of the hikes on shore may involve walking through muddy terrain, especially if it has rained recently.
- Sun protection: hat, sunglasses, and waterproof sun block: 30 SPF minimum.
- Wide-brimmed hat for rain or sun.
- If you wear contact lenses, bring a pair of prescription glasses for occasions when lenses may be bothersome.
- Camera, lenses, plenty of film, and extra camera batteries.
- A good pair of binoculars.
- 1 or 2 bathing suits and cover-up.
- Cotton or other lightweight long pants.
- Lightweight rain poncho.
- Long-sleeved shirts for protection from the sun.
- Mid-calf length socks.
- A small backpack or rucksack; a waterproof bag to hold camera and/or binoculars.
- T-shirts, polo shirts, and/or other comfortable, lightweight short-sleeved shirts. If you plan to use a T-shirt while snorkeling, please pack extra.
- Waterproof insect repellent.
- Travel alarm clock.
- Make sure to bring enough CASH to purchase crafts in Darien and Portobelo and also for tips at the end of the cruise, since the boat does not take credit cards.
What are the visa and passport requirements?
Panama is a very welcoming country. There are very few countries that require visa. By accessing this website you can find out if your country requires visa: https://panama.visahq.com/
Passports must have at least six months validation before it expires.
What is available in the cabins?
All cabins of the Discovery are outside cabins. They have wall-to-wall windows, private bathrooms with showers, individual air condition. They are equipped with blow-dryer and flashlight.
How’s the weather in Panama?
Panama is located in the tropics. We have a tropical rainforest which allows us to enjoy the variety of flora and fauna. We have an average temperature of 87°F (30°C) during the day and by night it drops to 78°F (25°C).
Panama has two seasons: dry and rainy. The dry season goes from December thru April. The rainy season goes from May thru November. However during our rainy season we still have sunny days. It might rain in the morning and have a sunny afternoon or vice versa.
Are there any vaccinations required?
Panama is a very healthy country. For this reason, vaccinations are not required when visiting the country.
Is there medical attention on board?
Our crew is trained to provide first aid attention.